Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Kristen Meyer

The final day at Wesley-Rankin Community Center Spring Break camp was extremely bittersweet. So sweet to know we spent quality time with a wonderful group of students for these past three days. So sweet to know we have made memories that will last a lifetime in the short time we have spent with the children of West Dallas. At the same time, this last day was bitter in the fact that we cannot truly know the impact we have made on these children's lives. I know in my heart that we have planted seeds of optimism and success in these children's mind  and even the smallest seeds can grow into the largest beautiful things on earth. The fact that this is the last day is also bittersweet in knowing that at the three day point we have only skimmed the surface of the lives of these children that  we so deeply want to make an impact. Also, at three days you really begin to get a good sense of a child's personality but you cannot understand where it comes from and what a child has experienced this far in their life. I wish more than anything that I could stay longer and interact with these children every day. Honestly, I would return to West Dallas and to Wesley-Rankin in a heart beat. I spoke to the director (who is an amazing woman) about their summer program and about returning to volunteer in the summer. This camp has made more of an impact on my life than I can explain. I also cannot explain the gratitude I feel towards MSU and Bear Breaks for giving me such an amazing opportunity as this one. This trip has empowered me to do as much service as I possibly can in Springfield. Although I cannot invest as much time as I would like in West Dallas, I can at least invest the next two years to the children in need of Springfield, MO.  God Bless!


No comments:

Post a Comment